Whether you believe in it or not, the ancient chakra system can helps us a great deal by directing our focus of attention to different different aspects of our human life. Chakras are perceived as centres of consciousness, located throughout the human spine, and they are thought to have a circular shape. Each one of them is associated with a different spiritual concept or quality, which can in turn be blocked through negative thoughts, emotions, and actions.
Ideally, energy should flow freely through the seven chakras, but if a chakra is blocked for any reason, the flow of energy and the functioning of all remaining chakras are also affected. Each chakra is also associated with a specific set of organs. Therefore, if a chakra is blocked, this is believed to have an impact on the organs regulated by the affected chakra.
Chakras are also linked to different layers of our human energy field, which in turn affects different aspects of our wellbeing. For more information on that, I recommend you to read my post on “The 7 Pillars of Wellbeing“. In this blog post, I will be sharing with you, however, a little bit more of information about each chakra and how you can improve your wellbeing by working through natural healing techniques.
Root Chakra – Order
Did you know that stress, anxiety, and worry block our energy flow, leading to imbalance of mind, body, and spirit? This happens because our root chakra gets clogged. The root chakra is represented by the colour RED and it regulates the following aspects: sexuality, lust, obsession, stability, security, and sensuality. Here are a few natural suggestions to heal your root chakra:
- To promote healing and awareness, try to: 😄laugh, 🎉 have fun, 🎥 watch a comedy movie or tv show, and 🤓 read a humour book or magazine.
- You can also work on accepting that we all face difficulties and setbacks. The way we respond to problems determines how we lead our life. Choose to see setbacks as learning opportunities.
- You can also apply energy healing to yourself by placing one hand on your root chakra and the other on your heart chakra. Keep this position for as long as you intuitively feel necessary.
Sacral Chakra – Will
The sacral chakra is represented by the colour ORANGE. This chakra is usually associated with issues related to our basic emotions (happiness, sadness, anger, fear, disgust and surprise), relationships, addictions, and creative power.
- To promote healing and awareness, you can do the yoga pose called “Buddha konasana”, also known as the butterfly pose.
- You can also apply energy healing by forming a triangle or a cup with your hands and placing them below the navel. Shut down your eyes for a deeper experience and focus your attention on your second chakra’s area.
- Recommended essential oils: orange, sandalwood, and ylang ylang.
Solar Plexus – Wisdom
The Solar Plexus chakra is represented by the colour YELLOW. This chakra is usually associated with complex emotions, personal empowerment, fear, anxiety, opinions, and introversion. Physically, and when out of balance, this chakra is linked to acid reflux, stomach problems, gas, and indigestion.
- One of the many yoga poses that helps healing this chakra is “navasana”, also known as “the boat”.
- If you like to use essential oils, I recommend using frankincense, myrrh, rosewood, and chamomile.
- If you like to use energy healing, I recommend you to place one hand in your abdomen and the other on the root chakra area. Next, leave one hand on the solar plexus chakra and move the other one to the third eye chakra area (forehead, right above your eyebrow line).
Heart Chakra – Earnestness
GREEN is the colour often associated with the heart chakra. This chakra is also linked to complex emotions, compassion, devotion, unconditional love, rejection, and wellbeing.
- To work on this chakra, one of the yoga positions you can perform is “utrasana”, also known as camel pose.
- Here are some of the essential oils you can use as well: Rose, Jasmin, Lavender, and Neroli.
- My favourite way to heal this chakra is, however, to place both hands on the area and bring conscious attention to it. I ask questions such as: what am I feeling now? And I allow myself to feel whatever it is.
Throat Chakra – Patience
BLUE is the colour attributed to the throat chakra. This chakra is associated with issues related to self-expression, communication, independence, fluency, and security.
- One of the recommended yoga poses to work on this chakra is the “matsyasana”, also known as the “fish pose”
- Here are some essential oils that contribute to the healing of this chakra: frankincense, ylang ylang, jasmine, and sandalwood.
Third Eye Chakra – Love
INDIGO is the colour associated with this chakra. This chakra is also associated with the following issues: regulation of the lower and higher self, intuition, internal guidance, conscience, and mental clarity.
- One of the recommended yoga poses to work on this chakra is the “balasana”, also known as child’s pose.
- Here are some essential oils that contribute to the healing of this chakra: clary sage, juniper, cypress, and marjoram.
Crown Chakra – Gentleness
VIOLET is the colour associated with this chakra. This chakra is also thought to regulate aspects such as pure consciousness, spiritual unity, meditation, karma, and transcendency.
- One of the recommended yoga poses to work on this chakra is the “sirsasana”, also known as the headstand yoga pose.
- Here are some essential oils that contribute to the healing of this chakra: rosewood, vetiver, lavender, and myrrh.